Kiwanis International was founded in 1915 in Detroit, Michigan, and became an international organization with the creation of the Kiwanis Club of Hamilton, Ontario, the following year.  The international headquarters are in Indianapolis, IN.  In 2015, Kiwanis celebrates its 100th anniversary!

In the early years, members focused on business networking but in 1919, the organization changed its focus to service. In the 1960s, worldwide expansion was approved and within the decade, Kiwanis International-Europe was formed, representing Kiwanians in 11 European nations. In 1987, women officially were allowed into the membership.

The Kiwanis Club of Bloomington was chartered on June 17, 1920. Over the past 95 years, Bloomington Kiwanians have served the Monroe County community, the state, the nation and the world through numerous service projects through community service.

The name 'Kiwanis' was adapted from the expression Nunc Kee­wanis in the Otchipew (Native American) language. It means we make a noise. A goal of Kiwanis International is to make a noise through community service.

Want more information about the history of Kiwanis? Follow this link to the Kiwanis International website where you can find an archive of specific topics about the history of Kiwanis!

 

http://www.kiwanis.org/kiwanis/about-kiwanis/ourhistory#.VOt2XC7IJKo